Taylor had been pushing during her Secret Sessions before the album dropped that the new album was about “her angel boyfriend of one year” Joe. However, her overall timeline with Joe doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. The Taylor/Joe (Toe) fans believe they met at the Met Gala in 2016 while Taylor was still with Calvin, but even though Taylor was so enthralled by how gorgeous Joe was, she decided to dump Calvin and date Tom Hiddleston instead. I also have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact we’re supposed to believe Taylor Swift (of all people) thought he was gorgeous when this is what he looked like at the Met Gala. I’m sorry, but no.
As a note, the official line is that they met at Kings of Leon concert October 12, 2016… This doesn’t help their timeline though; it still doesn’t make sense.
Also for those interested, this post sums up a lot of what is written below.
Songs written before she met Joe:
- Even Buzzfeed pointed out the inconsistencies
- King of My Heart
Other songs that don’t make sense:
- End Game:
- How can a person have a ‘big reputation’ if literally nobody knows who you are??
- This is also a song about someone Taylor wants to be with for the long haul. How could she have written that about a “boyfriend” she barely knew at the time?
- New Year’s Day
- Again, another song about a long term relationship.
- Taylor wrote the lyrics in October of 2016, the same month she met Joe. The plausibility that this song is about Joe is 0%.
- Don’t Blame Me:
- Why would she have to fall from grace just to touch some white boys’ face? Why is she having to hide her obsession? Doesn’t make sense if she’s talking about a het relationship.
- Dancing With Our Hands Tied
- If she’s in a het relationship with a guy, why can’t she dance with them? What’s *honestly* stopping her? Things aren’t this hard for straight women.
- Also at the time this was most likely written (2016), no one knew they were “together” so who was talking? Literally nobody.
- So it Goes…
- “Wear you like a necklace” is inherently a wlw lyric. For those who don’t know what Taylor is insinuating (in a song about sex) here’s a link for you.
On top of that, the album was supposed to come out earlier than it did, which only pushes up the timeline.
Chances are she had ideas and lines for songs in 2014, 2015, and early 2016, and then recorded in late 2016. She wouldn’t have been with Joe long enough to be able to write songs that talk about a long term relationship… Which most the songs on the album reference. Logically it just doesn’t make sense. Here’s a post where I go into more detail regarding this.
I love this new and improved site! I’m a fairly new Kaylor shipper, and I’m excited for all of us 😀 Thank you so much for putting all the effort into this, you were one of the main reasons why I started actually thinking that Kaylor may be reality, and not just delusional swifties with a pleasebegaydar (I have had that many times haha) But anyway, do you think that Taylor will ever come out? If so, when do you think?
Hi there! I’m so happy you’re liking the website!!
I used to be very skeptical about Taylor ever coming out, but after learning a bit more about what’s going on behind the scenes and watching all that she’s doing in the public eye already to get the fans warmed up to the idea, I really do think a coming out could happen in the next era!